Sesame Crusted Chicken
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lb total)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sesame seeds (4 1/2 oz)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Gently pound chicken breasts until 1/2 inch thick.
- Whisk together egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish until whites are loosened but not foamy.
- Put sesame seeds in another shallow dish.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Dip chicken, 1 piece at a time, in egg whites, letting excess drip off, then dredge in sesame seeds.
- Transfer to a wax-paper-lined tray.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook 3 pieces of chicken, turning over once with tongs, until coating is golden and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, then transfer to a plate.
- Remove any browned sesame seeds from skillet, then cook remaining chicken.