Napa Valley Cabernet Burgers
- 1 750-ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup (packed) coarsely grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 4 1/2-inch squares focaccia, cut horizontally in half
- 8 large tomato slices
- 2 cups arugula
- Boil wine and shallots in medium saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and brown sugar; whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Mix remaining 8 tablespoons butter and rosemary in small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Mix beef, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup wine-shallot mixture in bowl.
- Form meat into four 5-inch squares or rounds.
- Brush grill rack with oil.
- Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Turn burgers and brush with wine-shallot mixture.
- Continue grilling burgers until cooked to desired doneness, turning and brushing occasionally with wine-shallot mixture, about 4 minutes longer for medium-rare.
- Sprinkle with cheese after last turn and grill until cheese melts.
- Spread cut sides of bread with rosemary butter.
- Grill, cut side down, until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange bread, grilled side up, on plates.
- Top bottom halves with burgers, then tomatoes and arugula.
- Cover with top halves of bread.